Advanced Womens Health Center
8501 Brimhall Road, Buld. 300
Bakersfield, CA 93312
In-Vitro Fertilization or “IVF” is the system by which a woman’s egg (oocyte) and a male’s sperm are fertilized in an artificial environment. The subsequent embryo is then transferred back into the woman through the cervix and planted in the uterus where it will continue to develop naturally.
Includes IVF Procedure, all ultrasounds and labs needed during the IVF cycle.
Please schedule a consultation for full details.
IVF has become one of the more-popular procedures used to help couples who have difficulty conceiving naturally. Below is a list of factors that IVF can address:
If you are dealing with one or more of the above conditions, you may be a prime candidate for IVF.
Once we have performed the preliminary test and have determined that you are a candidate for IVF, there are five steps that follow. This may seem overwhelming, but not to worry; one of our board-certified doctors coordinates with a board-certified fertility specialist, and will be there with you every step of the way.
1. Ovulation Induction: After determining the schedule of your menstrual cycle, you will be asked to start taking medication that helps to trigger the development of egg follicles. This results in the production of multiple eggs. Once this treatment is started, you will be coming to the office regularly for the monitoring of your body’s response to the medication. This normally consists of an ultrasound and a blood test.
Once your results for the test determine that it is time to retrieve your eggs, you will switch medication in preparation for egg retrieval.
2. Retrieval: Egg retrieval happens under ultrasound guidance by Dr. Omid Khorram at his private office in Torrance, CA. (University Fertility Center). The procedure takes around 15-30 min. and you will be administered medication by an anesthesiologist to allow you to sleep through the process.
3. Collection and preparing the sperm: This process will be performed at the same time as egg retrieval at Dr. Omid Khorram’s private office.
4. Insemination of eggs and embryos culture: Next, the eggs are combined with the sperm immediately after the collection process. The following day, you will find out how many eggs were fertilized.
5. Transferring embryos to the uterus: Two days after insemination you will be asked to start taking progesterone. This medication is an essential hormone for maintaining pregnancy and you will take it for up to 12 days after conception. The transfer of the eggs will take place on day 3 or 5. Your doctor will work with you to determine when the best transfer date is. The transfer process places the fertilized embryos in the uterus through the cervix, and it is virtually painless.
After these five processes, you are on bed rest for the next three days. A pregnancy test will determine the outcome of the procedure.
We partner with Dr. Omid Khorram, Professor of Infertility at UCLA – Harbor, to perform the IVF procedure in his certified center in Torrance, CA. This gives our patients the option of IVF treatment at a prestigious university fertility center, with the added convenience of local ultrasounds, laboratory testing and OB/GYN doctor backup here in Bakersfield.